Nov 9, 2009 0
Junk Food/fast food Bites
In today’s complex society that is undergoing breathtaking changes, junk food sometimes called as fast food, is becoming a fashion trend. Junk foods are generally those fast foods which are easy to make and easy to consume. It comprises of anything that is quick, tasty, convenient and fashionable. They are zero in nutritional value. They have only fats lying in it.
But why are people mad behind consuming junk food? What is ingredients in junk food? Why there is junk food craving?
Junk foods are popular because of their simplicity to manufacture, consume and, of course, their taste. People have their own notions about a certain food being listed as Junk food. Chocolates, burgers pizzas, potato wafers and fries will surely find their way into everyone’s list.
How does junk food lead to ill health?
What is nutritional value junk food?
Children, at their growing age, seem to have plunged themselves into the world of fats foods and vending machines, totally unaware of the havoc they are creating for themselves. When we speak of street food, the fact that it’s cooked in unhealthy conditions makes it unhealthier than the same food made at home. Their contents are rich in sodium salts and/or sugar and fats which provide high calories yet useless in value. It has been proven that high fat/sugar foods do lead to obesity, increase in cholesterol, high blood pressure & eventually, cardiac problems such as angina.
At least for the children between 6-12 years of age which is the time of steady growth for them; good nutrition is high priority. In many families ,it is found that the vast majority of working mothers with school age children are laboured with exhausting office chores and household stuffs in such a manner that they are left with very little time to look after their children. People tend to have forgotten that the primary reason for eating is nourishment. What children eat affects their growth, feeling and behaviour. The commonest scenario is the child who returns from school and plonks himself in the front of the television, faithfully accompanied by the bowl of wafers and a can of cola.
Finally, I personally feel that we should follow some simple tips at home that would help in constructing an environment that protects our children.
We should make our child understand that enjoying meal comes with sharing experience with others.
Family dinners must be made mandatory.
We should refrain our children from following television commercials and super markets that are propagating wide variety of enticing junk foods.
Still there are some lovers of Junk food,
Here is Free online calorie counter – find out the calorie count of your favorite foods .. What Kind of Junk Food Are You?
Some nutritional details of junk food, Calorie Counter – junk food
- French Fries
- (Tostitos) Bite Size Rounds Tortilla Chips
- (McDonald’s) Small French Fries
- (Reese’s) Peanut Butter Cups
- (Cheetos) Crunchy Cheese Flavored Snacks
- Pizza – With Cheese
- (Taco Bell) Taco Supreme – Tacos
- (The Coca-Cola Company) Coca-Cola classic
- (Chips Ahoy!) Chocolate Chip
- (Reese’s) Peanut Butter Big Cup
- (M&M) Peanut Chocolate Candies
- (Oreo) Sandwich Cookies Double Stuf
- (Skittles) Original Fruit
- (Betty Crocker) Brownie Mix Fudge Brownies
- (Tootsie Roll Industries) Andes Creme de Menthe Thins – Andies Mints
- (Snickers) Minis
- (Sunchips) French Onion Flavor Multigrain Snacks
- (Haagen-Dazs) Chocolate chip cookie dough – Classic Flavors
- (Fritos) Scoops Corn Chips
- (Lay’s) Sour Cream and Onion Artificially Flavored Potato Chips
- (Jack in the Box) Regular Beef Taco
- (Lay’s) Classic Potato Chips
- (McDonald’s) Cheeseburger – Sandwiches
- Cookies, Chocolate Chip, Prepared From Recipe – Made With Margarine